Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sloth and Gluttony

Done and done with my second quarter of school. That last week there was kind of intense. Not intense like stressful, just intense like, holy shit I have a lot to do this week. But, it ended on Thursday with a presentation, a Biostats exam and a U.S. Health Care exam.

The presentation went well. Three of us out of six presented our social marketing campaign about safe sex in retirement communities. It got some laughs, which really was my main goal, so I was happy. And it made me feel like I was succeeding in my goal of combining creativity with public health. Check out a few posters I made for the fake promotion of our campaign. (Keep in mind I am no graphic artist and apologies to my readers who have already seen these in class):


As for the Biostats final. It was fucking hard. And not only I found it hard. Even people who get stats found it to be ridiculously difficult. Why make it so hard? Why? When I handed it in, I almost said to the professor, "That was mean." But, then I felt bad and held back. But it was mean. Why should I feel bad? Here's an example of how insanely hard it was. About five of the 20 questions were based on analyzing a study that involved the categories: 1) HIV and no other chronic disease, 2) No HIV, but other Chronic Disease, and 3) Otherwise. How the fuck am I supposed to keep those straight and figure out the right statistical answer? I'm not. And hence, I didn't! But you know what? It's over. Me and Biostats are so dunzo. It was not an amicable breakup. Biostats was a total asshole in the end. Even if Biostats comes crawling back, I'm never getting back together with Biostats. Ever. Trust me. So, don't even try, Biostats. I've moved on.

After Biostats, I had a whole hour to study for my last final (making it my final final). Luckily, I took U.S. Health Care pass/fail, so my hour of studying turned out to be sufficient. (I passed. What's up!? Who's a failure? Not me!). It's the only grade that's in so far.

Since then, I've been drinking beer, eating, shopping, running errands, taking care of business (I made a dentist appointment, for one. A small miracle), watching The Wire, watching movies, watching the Eagles (currently), making lentil soup (currently), going to the gym, and sitting on my couch, playing with my new Ipod Touch. It has been a lovely couple of days. Simply lovely. This sloth and gluttony will continue through Tuesday. Then I pick up my super awesome distraction from the airport and we continue the vacation lifestyle through the new year. Aside from the weather, it's one of the most wonderful times of the year. One of them. I also really like summer, fall, and spring.

Oh, here's something exciting I learned recently. The book, Rejected: Tales of the Failed, Dumped and Canceled, (available in bookstores Jan. 27), in which I have an essay, also contains an essay Jon Stewart wrote. Suh-weet! I was pretty psyched when I discovered that. More on that when it becomes available. (Remember above when I said I wasn't a failure because I passed U.S. Health Care? Well, I lied. My essay is about a particular failure, or at least being rejected. Hooray for rejection!).

Speaking of failure, back to the Eagles.

Happy Winter!

Happy Hannukah!

No comments: