Monday, December 8, 2008

Forgive and forget, please!

Sorry everyone for my complete lack of posting the past, er, few days. Please forgive. Friends in town, shit going down, finals abound. Today, I very nearly fell asleep in class. Bad news, indeed. But, fortunately the class following it was canceled. Can we get our money back for that? The class that was canceled is ridiculously disorganized and of course has the most work along with it. Boo.

What's new in Baltimore, you wonder? Well, the Washington Monument was lit last week in a special "Monumental Lighting." All the local Baltimore news stations were in my 'hood, covering it, as was a local celebrity-- some former Baltimore Ravens player. And I thought celeb sightings only happened in New York or LA! Someone quick, call Gawker Stalker.

The whole thing was actually pretty cool. The fireworks were fun, and even better was watching how in awe grown men and women still are of fireworks, myself included. I've also never seen fireworks set off in the middle of a city, very close to buildings and trees. I was sure something was going to catch on fire. Nothing did. But, since it is Baltimore, there was plenty of talk about how it sounded like gunshots and how easy it would be to murder someone at the event.

Check out the pictures I took:

This is one before the lighting (I must admit, I thought the monument looked better pre-xmas lights, than post):


Fireworks on the monument (fire hazard? Maybe):


And fireworks very close to buildings and trees (Fire hazard? Definitely):


Well, people, finals are next week, then I'm free for a month. Suh-weet. Then time to start looking for an internship/job for when I graduate. Working part-time for a non-profit, I am reminded that I would prefer not to work for a non-profit in the long-term. Does that make me a bad public health student? Quite possibly.

As for the person who commented about how she is looking at grad schools-- why don't you send me your email address and I can tell you more about it.

Later, all. I promise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm the one who asked you about grad school. Sorry for the late response, I'm in the middle of finals. My e-mail address is DLB72 at georgetown dot edu. Just a little background: I'm a junior in college studying International Health.

Thanks in advance,
Dee