Saturday, January 10, 2009

Conversations in Healthcare

I have a blog! Totally forgot! Oops. Actually, I didn't forget. I just haven't written because I've been on vacation and the more free time I have, the less I do. I spent a lovely two weeks on a Northeast excursion with stops in Philly, NYC, New Haven and Newport. But, I am back in Baltimore now and here to stay, at least until my Spring break. (Spring Break '09! Gonna be crazy! Public Health Girls Gone Wild! Oh wait.)

Since I've been back, I still had two weeks left of break, (now only one). So, before I left, I decided to schedule all of the doctors appointments I'd been needing during this time. First day back I went to the dentist. It had been maybe three years. Maybe. I went in for a cleaning and a check-up. I left with the news that I had two cavities, needed my wisdom teeth out, and needed gum surgery. I did not leave with a cleaning. (It's like taking your car in for an oil change and being told "We not doing the oil change, but we want to do a million other things on your car." "But what about the oil change?" "Nah. Maybe another time.") I also left the dentist with another appointment for a full series of x-rays the next day (Why couldn't they do them that day?) and an appointment the following day to see the periodontist. On the third consecutive day at the dentist, I was told that in addition to having my cavities filled, my wisdom teeth out, and my gums grafted, I also needed a bite adjustment and would need to wear a night guard for the rest of my life because I grind my teeth at night. I'm getting a second opinion.

In other frustrating doctor news, I went to the eye doctor to get a new prescription for my glasses and contacts. I paid extra for the extended contact evaluation and was given a prescription for a trial pair.

"Try them out for a few days before you order a lot. If they don't feel right, come back and we'll adjust."

Yeah, so they don't feel right. I called to make another appointment to get a different prescription. "Oh, that doctor is only in one day every two weeks."

"So, can I see a different doctor?"

"No, we don't like to do that."

"But I was supposed to have these contacts for a few days and they're uncomfortable."

"Sorry."

AAAAAHHHHH!

Then, I went to get new lenses for my frames. "We just have to tell you that if your frames break when we're putting new lenses in, we're not responsible."

"So who is responsible?"

"Well, we're not."

"Do frames often break?"

"Well, we have to heat them up to get the lenses in. So, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't."

"So, you're saying that if my Prada frames break in your hands, I'm shit out of luck?"

"Well, we're not responsible."

"So I have to buy new frames?"

"Yes."

"Because you broke them?"

"Yes."

AAAAAHHHHHH!

I'm sticking with my old lenses. They work fine. Especially with frames around them.

No comments: