Wednesday, November 5, 2008

America Chooses the Carrot Cake!

Amazing. We chose the carrot cake. President Barack Obama. I kind of don't know what to say. I've never not been cynical about this country and about American politics, so it's an entirely new feeling. (Okay, there was one time I wasn't cynical about this country-- after 9/11 in New York when there was a sense of true unity in the city). But, this is the first time ever I'm inspired by an American president. It's hard not to sound cliche, but holy shit, this is an incredible day. (That rhymed! I'm even inspired to write poetry today.)

I watched most of the results last night with a few friends, including my friend and former roommate Jane. Eight years ago, Jane and I watched the election results together in our apartment in Brooklyn. What a difference. Eight years ago, we went to sleep not knowing who the president would be, and then a week later were angered by the results. Eight years later, that anger is finally gone.

I've never been moved to tears by American politics before. Yesterday, I waited in line (at what I just discovered is my gorgeous public library) in Baltimore for an hour behind an elderly black man with a walker. Tears came to my eyes. Then, when Barack Obama won Virginia, where I canvassed for him a few months ago, and Pennsylvania, where I'm from, it was over. I found myself actually crying tears of joy. When he spoke about the grassroots nature of his campaign, of actually being able to make a change, I thought about what I'm doing in public health school... and how most of what I'm learning (fucking biostats aside) is about the upward battle to fight against powerful companies with tons of resources in order to make a change for the better in people's lives. Inspiring public health changes is far from easy, I'm learning. But after last night, watching Obama give his speech, I know that it's possible.

No comments: