Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Oscars Shmoscars

Oh, hello. I'm back. In the middle of midterms yet again. With two month long terms, I am in the middle of midterms or finals pretty much always. I have three papers due this week... and then finals in a week or two. But then I have spring break. Woohoo! One of the great things about being back to school!

One of my three papers was due yesterday. I spent all weekend working on it. It took up a lot of my time (here's a hint-- when going to a cafe to do work, while free refills on coffee seem like a good idea-- it may not be). I planned on finishing my paper in time to watch the Oscars. But did I? Of course not. Thus, while the Oscars happened on the other coast, I was in Baltimore writing a paper... a paper about media, no less. It was a existential crisis-evoking moment. What had I become? Where was the old me? The me who organized Oscar pools, had seen all of the movies, and thrown Oscar-watching parties? That me was writing a paper about the effects of television on eating habits. That's what had become of her!

As a break, I turned on the Oscars. It was a few hours in and they were only at Best Supporting Actress. I caught it just in time to watch five previous winner honor this year's nominees with ass-kissing, poorly written speeches. Blech. My existential crisis was over. According to reports, the Oscars sucked this year. But do they ever not suck? Not really. Then I realized the best part of the Oscars was coming in to work the next day and discussing it with co-workers who no doubt had watched the whole thing, red carpet entrance to finish and had seen all of the movies. I tried talking about the bit of the Oscars that I had seen with some classmates, to no avail. Everyone else was writing papers that night, too. Maybe it's not that I miss working in TV... maybe it's just that I miss working. Although, seriously. I miss working? I took a nap at 3:30 PM yesterday on my couch. I have a Spring Break. I really should appreciate this school thing a little longer. Nap time is almost over.

No comments: